Workshop Price: $395
Register now for the Early Bird fee $350* and secure your place.
*Early bird price ends one month prior to each event
Emily O’Leary presents this special event in Hobart, Sydney, Adelaide and Perth. Book your place now.
This workshop is only for registered allied health practitioners working with OCD or an interest in OCD. Please fill in these details before booking.
Following the workshop you have electronic licence to use the OCD treatment manual for your personal use with clients.
When: To Be Advised
Where: Best Western Hobart
Who: Professionals who have worked with OCD or who have an interest in OCD. This may include: Speech Language Pathologists, Special Educators, AT Professionals, Occupational Therapists, Psychologists, Psychiatrists.
This full day workshop will demonstrate the assessment and treatment of OCD, with emphasis on strategies and interventions. Attendees will learn about cognitive case formulation, the importance of ongoing assessment, and specific therapeutic interventions, all following from evidence-based models of OCD. This workshop will elaborate on current research used to inform treatment strategies for this challenging disorder. All attendees will receive unlimited electronic use of the OCD manual for their professional use and specific OCD assessment measures.
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, commonly termed OCD, is the title given to the condition in which the person develops intrusive thoughts, images or impulses (e.g. obsessions), usually alongside associated compulsive behaviours. OCD is a treatable disorder that can affect both males and females of all ages. It is the fourth most common mental health disorder and is diagnosed as often as diabetes or asthma. Often, individual sufferers may be in denial, or too embarrassed about admitting their obsessions and seeking the help they require. An obsession develops when a thought, image or impulse repeatedly comes to mind, often disrupting other thoughts and mental focus. An individual with OCD usually feels an overwhelming need to reduce their anxiety, and therefore engages in compensatory compulsive mental acts or behaviour(s).
OCD is associated with significant impairment in functioning, quality of life and disability. Early diagnosis and appropriate treatment may improve outcomes. Despite OCD being a common mental illness, most seek treatment after several years of struggling. Many individuals who experience OCD tend to be secretive about their symptoms due to shame and embarrassment. Less than a third of people with OCD receive appropriate pharmacotherapy and even less receive evidence-based psychotherapy. This workshop will provide one avenue to provide an evidenced based program your clients can work through with you.
This workshop will be held in Perth, Darwin, Adelaide and Perth. The workshop will focus on providing training on evidence-based treatment constructed from a solid formulation for clients with OCD. Teaching modalities will include case studies and group work. A range of contemporary ACT strategies will be demonstrated, and participants will have the opportunity to raise examples from their own practice. In addition to workshop slides, participants will receive several resources for their own personal use from the client workbook for use with clients who have OCD.
At the completion of this course, participants will have the skills to:
- Describe the cognitive model and explain the typical underlying processes that contribute to the onset and maintenance of OCD (based on research evidence), as well as the implications for treatment.
- Develop a tailored case formulation for individual clients who meet criteria for OCD diagnosis, including the factors that contribute to the maintenance of OCD for these clients.
- Differentiate between “content” and “process” of OCD and approach OCD relevant cognitions through their own “toolbox” using more contemporary ACT techniques.
- Utilise a range of behavioural experiments and exposure protocols to get more “bang for your buck” with exposure work.
- Develop greater confidence as a therapist in delivering treatment to adults with OCD by avoiding falling into the pitfalls of circular arguments and covert reassurance.
- The workbook will be delivered electronically following the workshop. You have permission to use this workbook with your clients and for your own personal use. Please do not share the material
- A follow up training call with Dr Emily can be scheduled by emailing the support team following the workshop
- The workshop offers a total of 8 CPD points
- Share the love ‐ Feel free to tell your friends you’re attending.
- Follow us on Facebook to keep up to date.
20% discount on future workshops
- Psychoeducation and Treatment Plan
- Psychological Model
- Exposure Response Prevention – Specific OCD Hierarchies to use in practice, emphasis given to themes around harm and sexually repugnant obsessions
- Behavioural experiments – Specific OCD examples to use in practice and group work
- Trouble Shooting ERP
- The 75% Rule
- Returning to Baseline – What is Normal and Grief around Post Diagnostic Self
- Family Session
- Relapse Prevention
Evaluation and Closing
How will you benefit form this training?
- Develop a greater understanding of OCD, and the underlying processes that contribute to and maintain the disorder
- Personal use of the OCD Workbook and one follow up email with Dr Emily for difficult cases
Our events are fully catered with high quality café style platters, and all resources are provided. This is a practical workshop following which you will have the skills provided to treat OCD from an evidenced based perspective. The workbook can only be used by clinicians who have attended the one-day workshop, given the need to fully understand the principles behind treating this complex condition.
Limited positions are available at each workshop. Please register early to take advantage of our early bird rate (only if payment can be finalised at least one month prior to the workshop date).
The delivery of the workbook is electronic and can be sent to your client as an entire document or session by session format. This is a client workbook; the workshop is designed to replace the clinician workbook and give you everything you need to support your clients through treatment.
Contact us for a quote to have this training delivered at your work place.